25‏/05‏/2011

It’s Black, It’s White

It’s BW. Yeah yeah yeah!

:) I couldn’t resist some MJ action.

I was just a tad bit obsessed with spray paint last weekend. I had a wicked case of spray paint trigger finger by Sunday evening, there was so much spraying going on.

This little project started with a lovely inspiration photo I found online and then filed right to Pinterest:

warm and bright kitchen

I think this kitchen is so lovely – warm wood cabinets, but still bright and airy. Perfection in my eyes. :)

I kept going back to those bright white chairs – I’m all about contrast, and I loved them against the warm wood.

Then I realized how similar they were to our island chairs, and I knew what I had to do. Spray paint action!

We’ve had black chairs at our island for a while now:

black island black chairs

I decided to see how they looked in white, and figured if I hated it I could always go back to black. But I don’t hate them. I LOVE. :)

I started by giving the chairs a quick sanding. Let me tell you -- I hate sanding with a deep burning passion, but because these get so much wear, I figured it was necessary. It was SO quick though – it took less than five minutes per chair:

You just need enough to scuff up the finish to give the paint a little somethin’ extra to hold to.

Then I gave them all a good cleaning. There are cleaning products just to prep furniture for paint, but my Shaklee stuff worked just fine:

(Please ignore our deck in desperate need of restaining.)

After a really good wipe down, I started the priming. I used two cans total – Zinsser and basic Valspar primer:

Both worked great. The Zinsser didn’t cover quite as well as the Valspar, but it’s supposed to be a better quality primer. I’m sure they both will hold up just fine.

I primed those chairs within an inch of their lives. ;) I could barely see black through the primer when I was done, which made for an easy final coat of the white paint.

Before the white, I did some touching up. The chairs are from Garden Ridge and were a DEAL – but they aren’t the best quality. There were lots of spots that had some crackle:

I used my trusty caulk and covered all of those not-so-pretty spots. It worked GREAT.

After the caulk dried, I did one final coat of Rustoleum white spray paint:

rustoleum satin white

I used a satin finish so they weren’t too shiny, but they can still be wiped down.

Then put the seats back on:

And I had fallen in luuurve. :)

I swear you notice the beadboard on the island more now:

Gleeeee!

I love how they pull in the white of the backsplash, woodwork and the pretty pitcher on the island.

spray painted chairs

And I love how they look with the green seat fabric.

Did I mention I LOVE? :)

It always kills me how a simple change like paint can completely change a space. It’s brightened our kitchen by 100 watts!

And because I have to show how far our kitchen island has come every. single. time. – the before:

island before

Just a few short years ago!

And the after:

black island white chairs

ACK! I big fat heart you spray paint! Hollllla! You are one of my many BFFs! :)

Do YOU believe in the power of spray paint?

P.S. If you’d like to see nearly 500 spray paint transformations, check out the spray paint party from last week!

It’s Black, It’s White Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: neno

0 التعليقات:

المساهمون